Sunday, June 6, 2010

25 Things You Might Not Know About Me

I challenge you to try this--it isn't easy to come up with 25 things about you, period, let alone 25 things others might not know--here goes:

1.  When my mother took me to school on the first day and left, I hid in the closet and wouldn't come out.  They had to send for my dad to come and get me and take me home.
2.  I have absolutely no artistic ability when it comes to crafts, drawing, painting, etc!!
3.  I hate to sew
4.  I started piano and clarinet lessons in the 3rd grade, and continued through my 2nd year of college!
5.  I am a slow reader.
6.  When I was a young child, we moved to La Grande.  Everyone thought my sister and I were twins because mom cut our hair the same and dressed us the same.  She made all of our clothes alike but in different colors.  I was usually green, and Jackie was blue.  We did look alike and were about the same size, although she was 20 months older than I and 2 grades ahead of me in school
7.  I am a fainter.  I used to faint when I got a shot, cut myself badly or got too tired.  I'm better now, but can't guarantee I won't faint!
8.  For years, I had a collection of personally autographed movie star's pictures.  I entered my collection in hobby fairs and won blue ribbons.  I had everyone: Rock Hudson, Marilyn Monroe, Jimmy Dean, Doris Day, --all of the old greats.  I left my collection in my mom's basement when I went to college; the basement flooded (we lived at the foot of the mountain, far from a river of anykind), and my collection was destroyed.
9.  I used to save $2 bills.  I had about 200 bills saved when I got married.  Ron and I used them to get a little used car.  I still love $2 bills!
10. When I was 6, my sister got the measles.  So, my mom took my baby sister and I to get a measles shot.  The problem was, I already had them, but they hadn't "come out", so I was twice as sick.  I had to spend 2 weeks in a dark room, with the door shut because I was contagious.  Only my dad and mom came in to see me and care for me during those 2 weeks.
11.  When I was in high school, President Dwight D Eisenhower shook my hand and handed me a signed ticket worth one free milkshake.  I was in the high school band, and we were at the Spokane Lilic Festival.  I loved milkshakes, so I spent it!  What a foolish thing to do--have regreted it my whole life.
12.  When  I was in HS, I was cooking for 200 firefighters in our restaurant when I spilled hot grease on my whole left hand.  It created a big blister, and was very painful.  But, I was the only cook there, so I had to finish my job!  What an ordeal that was.
13.  I was co-editor of the HS yearbook, class of 1958, with my now husband, Ron.
14. I once helped my dad unbury glass jars containing money from the basement of our house.  We dug up $25,000, which he used to buy a downtown building.  He didn't trust banks because he had been affected by poverty during the Great Depression!
15.  I was one of only 3 girls in the University of Oregon Concert Band in 1960.
16.  I won a music scholarship to U of O, but turned it down to major in accounting.
17.  I shook John F Kennedy and Jackie Kennedys' hands when they gave a campaign stop and speech at Eastern Oregon State College.
18. I was invited to tour Europe with a symphony orchestra, but declined because The Berlin Wall was scheduled to come down.  I didn't want to be in Europe if there was going to be another war!
19.  I almost didn't graduated from college because Biology was a required course, and I wasn't going to cut up any dead animals!!  Ron rescued me and became my lab partner.  He did the cutting,
20.  I am a family history buff, and started my original research as a newly-wed working on my Golden Gleaner Award.
21. I spent 20 hours this week reading microfilms in search of my 17th Century ancestors in England
22. I have had 14 surgeries, which includes 5 C-secions.
23.  I won a State Recognition Presidential Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Mathematics.  My reward was a T-shirt and $700, which I used to buy my first computer.
24.  I used to play in the orchestra for the musicals presented at BMCC.  I loved doing it--played for such plays as South Pacific, Fiddler on the Roof, Brigadoon, Grease, and the presentations of The Messiah, and many more.
25.  I sat and ate dinner within 20 feet of President Spencer W Kimball when I attended a Genealogy Conference at BYU. 

Now you post 25 things I don't know about you!!

3 comments:

Audra said...

Wow!! YOu have led a very interesting and exciting life so far! I sure didn't know any of those things about you. I'm not sure I could think of 25....maybe 10.

Krissy T. said...

Good job mom! I think I knew all of those things about you though, except the music scholarship!

kc and k said...

I had forgotten about some of the things on your list, so it was fun to hear them again.

I think its a little ironic that you have "cut up dead things" for a huge portion of your life as a cook, but can't handle a science class. :)